Fresh controversy has trailed the detention of former Nasir El-Rufai after his family alleged that operatives of the Department of State Services took him into custody shortly after a court granted him bail on Monday.
Speaking outside the DSS headquarters in Abuja, El-Rufai’s second wife, Hasiat, said the family was alarmed by the move, insisting it violated existing court orders directing that he remain in the custody of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission.
According to her, El-Rufai had appeared before the Federal High Court, where he was granted bail before being allegedly moved to the DSS facility during and after proceedings.
“He said, ‘I am not furniture to be moved,’” she told journalists, claiming the former governor resisted the transfer.
The family also alleged that El-Rufai, who has spent 91 days in custody, has been denied access to his personal doctors despite a court order permitting it, describing the development as “psychological torture.”
His son, Bello El-Rufai, described the case as politically motivated and questioned the stringent bail conditions imposed on his father.
However, security sources told Vanguard that following consultations among lawyers involved in the matter, El-Rufai had been returned to ICPC custody as of 5pm on Monday.